2013 Official Rules
1. ELIGIBILITY: The International Documentary Challenge is open only to individuals across the world. The following are not eligible: employees, contractors, directors and officers of KDHX Community Media and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Challenge agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Challenge (collectively, "Challenge Parties"), and the immediate family members of each (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or "step" of each) and those living in their same households (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Challenge). Void where prohibited.
*See "Filmmaking Rules" for rules about the making of the actual film. These rules pertain to the contest.
2. TO ENTER: To sign up for the Challenge, follow the instructions found on www.docchallenge.org. Registration is based on a first-come first-served basis and space is limited. Early bird registration fees are $99. Regular registration fees are $115. Late registration fees are $135
3. The Challenge will commence on a Thursday and end on the following Monday as announced on the Challenge website.
4. If a team ("Entrant") must withdraw from the Challenge, refunds will be paid on the following schedule: Notify KDHX Community Media of withdrawal more than 30 days before competition, you will be refunded $99; Notify KDHX Community Media of withdrawal between 15 and 30 days before the competition, you will be refunded $75; Notify KDHX Community Media of withdrawal between 7 and 14 days before competition, you will be refunded $50; No refunds for withdrawal less than 7 days before competition.
5. Entrants will be required to sign the standard Doc Challenge Team Leader's Agreement. If under the legal age of majority in your state of residence, your parent or legal guardian must sign it on your behalf. A copy of this agreement is available at www.docchallenge.org.
6. All costs associated with the production of the Entry are solely the responsibility of the Entrant.
7. Eligible Entries will be judged based on the judging criteria stated below.
8. Basic Requirement of the Challenge: At the Kickoff time, Entrants will receive an assignment and be given exactly 5 days to make a video (an "Entry"). See www.docchallenge.org for details.
9. PROJECT TERMS OF SUBMISSION: By submitting an Entry into this Challenge, each Entrant warrants and represents that the Entrant owns all rights to the Entry he/she is entering in this Project, including, without limitation, the video or digital recording, and the performance contained in each Entry, with the exception of any assets provided by the Doc Challenge for use by Entrants in connection with this Challenge. Each Entrant further warrants and represents that the Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry to grant the rights to the Challenge Parties described in these Official Rules, and will submit copies of such permissions to the Challenge Parties. By submitting an Entry, Entrant agrees to the Official Rules, and further agrees to indemnify and hold KDHX Community Media, Challenge Parties and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Challenge Indemnitees"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Challenge Indemnitees due to or arising out of the Entrant's Entry materials in this Challenge, or the Entrant's conduct during and in connection with this Challenge, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless KDHX and the Challenge Parties from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of KDHX or the Challenge Parties infringes on the rights of Entrant's work as contained in any Entry.
10. As a condition of entry, participants must agree to the Team Leader's Agreement, which sets forth the rights of Entrant and KDHX Community Media with respect to the use of Entries by KDHX Community Media. Entries that do not include all required information and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements will be considered void and will not be considered in this Challenge.
11. If any group of individuals elects to collaborate on an Entry, they are required to designate one (1) person as the agent of the group to enter the Challenge, agree to these Official Rules, sign the Team Leader's Agreement and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither KDHX Community Media nor any of the Challenge Parties are liable for any disputes between collaborators arising out of or related to the Challenge.
12. SELECTION OF WINNERS:
Judges Prize: Entries will be judged by a process in which a qualified panel of judges ("Judges") will evaluate each eligible Entry based on the following judging criteria:
* Creativity (45%)
* Technical Merit (30%)
* Adherence to the Assignment (25%)
In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based on the highest score in the first Judging Criteria, continuing thereafter to each Judging Criteria in order, as needed to break the tie. Entrants agree that KDHX Community Media has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Challenge and that all decisions of KDHX Community Media are final and binding.
Audience Award: The top 12 rated films from the Judges ratings will be considered the "finalists". These 12 finalists will be streamed on the website for audience voting. The film with highest average rating will receive the Audience Award.
13. The 12 Finalists will be screened at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival in Toronto. (date and location to be announced).
14. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, Entrants agree to these Official Rules which are final and binding in all respects. The Challenge is governed by the laws of the state of Missouri, USA, and all claims must be resolved in Missouri courts or the Federal courts located in Missouri.
15. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by KDHX or Challenge Parties resulting from any user's participation in or attempt to participate in the Challenge or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Challenge. No responsibility or liability is assumed by KDHX or Challenge Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Challenge: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Challenge, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Challenge, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Challenge. KDHX and Challenge Parties are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site is at user's own risk. KDHX and the Challenge Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to user's or any other person's computer equipment resulting from participation in the Challenge, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. By participating in the Challenge, Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold KDHX and Challenge Parties harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant's participation in the Challenge.
19. WINNERS: Winners will be posted online at www.docchallenge.org.
20. PROJECT ORGANIZER: KDHX Community Media, 3504 Magnolia Ave St Louis, MO, USA 63118
Last Updated on Monday, 07 January 2013 15:36
Follow us on Twitter